Invitation to Complete an Ecological Identity Survey
My name is McKenna Molnar and I am a Masters student at The Ohio State University. I am currently working on a project, with my co-investigators Dr. Amy Kulesza and Dr. Maria Miriti (a member of the UNIDE steering committee), that examines how field experiences impact undergraduate students’ ecological identity. Field experiences are often anecdotally cited as important turning points in people’s path to become an ecologist. Given that the discipline of ecology lags behind other STEM disciplines in improving diversity of its students, I am interested in the role field experiences play in students identification as an ecologist and if it varies for those with different social identities.
We are investigating this question with a survey that we have developed, the Field Experiences and Ecological Identity Survey (FEEIS). We are asking undergraduate students that have participated in a field experience during the calendar year of 2022 to complete our survey so we can collect data on the reliability and validity of its use as a survey tool. We would like to hear from as many students as possible so that diverse perspectives and experiences can be used to inform the validation of the survey.
We are recruiting individuals who meet all of these criteria:
- You are 18 years of age or older
- You are currently or were an undergraduate student during the calendar year of 2022
- You participated in a field experience during the calendar year of 2022
- A field experience is any trip to a field location, such as a park or a field station, that includes students exploring the location and asking ecological questions
If you decide to participate in this study, you will be asked to do the following activities:
- Complete the FEEIS, including demographic questions, which will take approximately 10-15 minutes
During these activities, you will be asked questions about:
- Your personal connection to nature and the Earth
- Your confidence in field skills
- Your sense of belonging in ecology
- Demographic questions, including things like institution type, major, year, age, race and ethnicity, participation in field experiences, and the type of field experiences you have participated in
If you are interested in participating in this study, you can complete the survey at the link below. The first question on the survey will be the consent form.
I greatly appreciate your time! Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org.